Thursday, October 02, 2008

On Love

I propose that we all just take a deep breath and realize that love is all around us, inside us, and a part of our soul, our being, our breath itself.

Love is not as complicated as humans want to make it. It really isn't. When it comes down to it, love is this:

When I'm with you, I'm happy, and when I'm not with you, I'm sad.

For me, this is enough. Think about it. There are people who don't really make me happy when I'm with them. I'm not sad to leave them. I don't love them. These people include (but are not limited to) most of my coworkers, people who work in grocery stores, and people who take political polls with clipboards.

Then, there are people who make me really happy. I look forward to seeing them, and even more, being in the same room with them. When I part company with them, my heart sinks inside me, and I begin to pine. These people include (but are not limited to) my daughter, my husband, my dear friends, and my parents.

I do not make distinctions between "loving" and "being in love with." All love is the same to me. Heartbreak is a natural event, caused by a lack of proximity to loved ones. It is a condition that should be taken seriously--people have died from it. Heartbreak and love are two sides of the same coin.

Be brave, friend, and stop avoiding love. The benefits far outweigh the heartbreak. I know because I am one who lives within a sphere of love--I cannot live otherwise. My heartbreak lives with me every day, but it is also what can keep me going.

I know you, friend, and love you, and you deserve love.

No comments:

Post a Comment