Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Why Do You Do What You Do?

Image by rubyblossom. Used with permission via a Creative Commons license.


There is value in what you do.

I was reminded of this lesson the other day. I was lamenting the fact that I am not yet self-employed all the way, 100%, and why was it taking so long, and maybe this isn't the way to go anyway. What am I doing, here? This is taking far too long to see any financial results. Is it worth it?

And then I got this message on Facebook:

Hi Amy,

I just friended you, and didn't want you thinking, "Who is this chick?' so I'll explain. At the end of 2008 I bought your first two ebooks about soap making. A little more than 2 years later, I have a thriving soap business than continues to grow and has enabled me to take my full-time job of 20 years down to a part time job. By the end of this year, I hope to leave that job altogether and focus entirely on my business. I just want to say Thank You for everything. For your knowledge and your inspiration that's helped me get this far. If you ever find yourself asking, "Is anyone even benefiting from what I'm doing?"take a look at my website atwww.summerkitchensoaps.com

Again my sincere thanks,

Michelle Harps

Summer Kitchen Soaps


There. THAT'S the value in what I do. I publish books that help people to learn things. One of my books might be the thing that lifts a woman out of poverty. One of my books has already changed one person's life for the better--she wrote to me and told me so. I am so grateful that she did. I cannot express to you all how much that message warmed my heart and affirmed that I am doing the right thing.

I don't just write and publish books. I help people.

Look at the work you do, and ask yourself, "What is the value of this?" Crafting has value. What needs are you meeting? Do your items make someone more comfortable? My soaps are great for the skin, and are helpful to those with sensitivities to artificial fragrance. They help people. Do your items make people feel more beautiful? Enhance their living spaces? Perform a useful function?

Crafting has value. Our pursuits are not frivolous.

No comments:

Post a Comment