Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Did I say "shunning?"


We had a meeting after school today. Please read the previous post to understand a bit about the job cuts. Well, I mentioned that the teachers who helped make these very difficult decisions would probably be shunned.

Never did I think they would be called out, publicly, by a colleague. That's what happened at the meeting after school today. And for the life of me, I cannot imagine why.

This teacher expressed, publicly, his disappointment in the teachers on the committee, saying he did not feel represented, and went so far as to say that he's certain that "most" of the teachers would agree with him.


First of all, I don't agree with him. Second, that's just rude. Third, it's unprofessional. If he had a problem with a colleague, he should go to that colleague. It serves no purpose to discuss his disappointment publicly, except to ridicule the teachers in question. It's unprofessional and cruel.

I don't understand why he would do that. My opinion of him is now diminished.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:15 AM

    What gall.

    I hope you weren't one of the ones that was selected. That would have been positively awful to deal with.

    Sudiegirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the oft-repeated line of "I speak for.."

    The only way to stop people like that is to prove that no, you don't speak for me by standing up and stating so.

    Unfortunately now that he's publicly said that he speaks for you, the only way to really win is to stand up and publicly say "no you don't."

    Vicious, crappy little circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since I didn't have the wherewithal to say it right then, I have gone to the committee members personally, and told them that I do not support my colleague's nasty comments, nor the manner in which he commented. Both appreciated my support of their difficult decisions. Best I could do, when struck dumb from the appalling behavior of another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I should have mentioned that I rarely have the wherewithal.. but I'm getting better - I've volunteered on way too many boards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:30 AM

    Groovygrrl...

    You handled the awkward sitch quite well, m'dear. Don't you hate it when people speak "for you" when you didn't necessarily ask for it or want it?

    Bleah...what a bummer.

    Hang in there with all your endeavors.

    Sudiegirl

    ReplyDelete