Thursday, March 01, 2012

Small Craft Business: Time-on-Task Thursday--Roller Derby Edition

I'm giddy.


I have been very reflective this week. As many of you may know, I am not  yet fully self-employed. I would love this, but it's just not in the cards yet. This week at work (public school), the cuts came through. At this time every year, schools get their budget projections for the next year, and that usually means positions will be cut.


Unsurprisingly, I had to interview for my own job. 


Luckily, I was selected to stay, so I'm still employed. But is it lucky? One of my friends was not so "lucky" and she was cut. She is nearly retirement age, and we suspect that's part of the issue (expense), but can't prove it. But her situation is different from mine--I cannot retire if I choose. 


This whole thing got me to thinking hard, though, about what I need to do to get out. I speak of my job in terms of escape, often. If only, if only. During times like these, to make myself feel better, I take some sort of action. Moving toward my goal only makes sense.


So I signed up to be a sponsor of Rollercon. My roller derby necklaces are popular locally, and are an easy sell when I'm actively trying. I think it's a measured risk, to go to a convention, surrounded by my target market, and attempt to sell them something they already want. 


Don't you? 


Also, there are lots of parties there. Every night, really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment