Monday, March 15, 2004

The Moral Obligation of Stupid People

...is to either wise up, or shut up.

So I was talking to my girlfriend, S. the other day. She was telling me this small story about her crazy sister. This sister is a quite intolerant sort, and happens to be an evangelical Christain, to boot. She is a self-professed homophobe, among other things. Just a short history, for reference.

The big point that made me put my head in my hands was this: The sister, B. said to S., "Have you gone to see The Passion of the Christ yet?"

S. replied, "No, I don't think I want to. It looks pretty gruesome."

Then B. said, (I am not kidding)" S., it is your moral obligation to God to see this movie!"

S. was a bit shocked by this statement, since she didn't generally rely on her sister for moral or spiritual guidance. S. replied to her sister, "Well, that may be, but I don't know if I want to support a film that is potentially Anti-Semitic."

Now, here's the "head in her hands" moment. B. replied,"What does that mean?"

S. said, "What? What does what mean?"

B. said, "Anti-Semitic. What is that?"

*big open eyes from me...shaking my head...putting my head in my hands*

Yep. That does it. If you are smart, and want to proselytize, go for it. I'll probably not talk to you, anyway, but at least you'll understand the word "proselytize," and will probably be gracious about it when I tell you I would rather not discuss your issues.


If you are and evangelical Christian, and do not know what the term "Anti-Semitism" means, then your moral obligation to society is to shut the hell up.

Does this make me appear intolerant? Perhaps. However, I would like to state that B. has every right to follow whatever spiritual path she wants. My point is, if you are stupid, then perhaps you shouldn't follow a spiritual path that demands you recruit for your cause, because you are going to end up looking stupider than you are.

Of course, if you have read this far and are actually stupid, then I bet you have a puzzled look on your face. No problem. I'll fix it for you:

Hey! Stupid people! Zip it!


--groovygrrl, queen of intolerant rants

No comments:

Post a Comment