Friday, April 15, 2011

Featured Crafter: Maria Konstantin



This week's featured crafter is Maria Konstantin. Her Etsy shop has the most delightful crocheted items. Maria is from Bulgaria, so I have edited her responses for clarity. Enjoy.


Where do you sell your crafts?

I sell my creations exclusively online in my Etsy shop: www.MariaKonstantin.etsy.com. I totally love it and I spend every spare minute working on my products and my shop.






What was your inspiration for your business?

I was always obsessed by crochet and knitting. I remember it was back in December, 2008, when I lost my day job, which made me look for opportunities to help my husband with supporting our family. So one day I came across Etsy and it was like, wow that is my thing! To create and make money out of what I love to do the most. Later, I got a new day job, but I just could not give up on my shop. Now I try to balance between my two jobs, which is not always easy to do.






What do you love to create most?

What I love to create the most are the crochet beads and making necklaces with them. But I must say those beads were not the products that I started my shop with. I was always thinking of necklaces that are made out of fibers, textiles, cotton thread - soft materials, mostly pure cotton and I wanted the best part of the necklace to be NO metal parts. So I came up with the idea of the cotton crochet beads strung on crochet cord or ribbon. I think they are perfect for little ladies.






What are your favorite materials? What is inspiring you right now?

Like I said before, cotton thread is my favorite material and the round wooden beads too, which I use for my crochet beads. What inspires me are the colors that I see around me. If a certain color pops in front of me I always start playing with color combinations in my mind. Lately I get inspired by fruits, too. That is why I started making my crochet amigurumi fruit necklaces. I just love them!





What piece of advice do you wish you had, when starting your business?

At the beginning of my Etsy adventure I wish I was told that pictures and descriptions are very very important for selling online.


Thanks for participating, Maria! Readers, she obviously has some great photography skills--what photo tips do you have to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment