Today's featured crafter, Kristy Kroth-Hoops, has an elegant, vintage approach to jewelry and accessories. I love looking at her collection all together on Etsy. It feels like stepping through a doorway in time.
Your aesthetic is antique-looking. What time period is your favorite? Do you create your jewelry based on a particular time period?
I find a lot of inspiration from a mixture of time periods. I would say the strongest influence would be the Art Nouveau and Edwardian periods. I find so much beauty in objects from the past. My creation process is driven by a lot of factors, but I do find that I create a lot of pieces based upon specific periods. Depending on the day or exposure to visual stimuli it could be Art Deco, Egyptian revival or Retro Pin-up.
What makes you happiest in your craft business?
I love that I have the chance to materialize the figments of my imagination whenever I feel it necessary. I also enjoy that the handmade community is really bringing about a new age of enlightenment in ways. I find the resurgence of the arts and their appreciation is exhilarating in this day and age.
What have you learned about running a business that a newbie needs to know?
Perseverance. It can become self-defeating at times, if you let it, when you begin. It's so important to keep the passion in what you do evident through the busy and slow times. And stay organized, the more orderly you keep the different aspects of your business, the more time you are able to spend on your art.
Do you have a day job? Is it fulfilling? Do you aspire to be self-employed?
I do currently have a day job. I work as a kitchen manger, definitely not what I thought I would be doing when I was younger. Honestly, I can find the "hard day's work" rewarding at the end of it, but it does lack a fulfilling feeling. My desire to build Gypsy Eye to be my sole focus is what drives me everyday, 100%.
What is your favorite piece in your Etsy shop right now?
Right now I really like the Giselle brooch, it has a slightly dark mood that speaks to me.
Thanks to Kristy for taking the time to be interviewed. Please visit her shop (the photos are linked) and leave a comment. If you do comment, you will be entered in this week's giveaway! The prize is amazing, people. Kristy made these earrings, in the photo below, specifically for the giveaway! Have you ever?
Named "The Queen's Hive," these beautiful earrings could be yours--just leave a comment! We need at least 20 comments for the giveaway to happen, so spread the word! Thanks again, Kristy. Awesome!
Giveaway Info, Rules, and Such:
1. All commenters on this post will be assigned a number, according to their post in the queue. Make sure there is some way we can contact you, and that you have a U.S. mailing address. We are sorry, but we cannot ship outside the U.S. at this time.
1. The giveaway cannot happen with fewer than 20 comments, so spread the word! If fewer than 20 individuals comment, then the giveaway will not happen.
2. Comments close on Saturday, April 10, 2010, , at 11:59pm US Mountain time.
3. On Sunday, April 11, 2010, I'll have a random number generated through the magic of the Interwebs.
4. The winner will be notified via this blog and email, as will Kristy.
5. Kristy will deal directly with the winner regarding receipt of the giveaway prize.